A TRYST WITH HISTORY
Uttarakhand Tea, Tea cultivation was introduced in Uttrakhand by the British almost two centuries ago in 1835 along the picturesque slopes of Kausani, Dehradun and Berinag.Uttarakhand Tea was prized for its flavour, aroma and colour and was highly sought after by connoisseurs of tea in India and England during the British Raj. During those days, It was one of the most preferred teas in London teahouses.After the onset of the Quit India movement in 1942, the Uttarakhand tea gardens were neglected and tea production suffered badly. Only in the last few decades, with the efforts of the state government, the tea gardens of Uttarkhand are slowly going through a resurrection.Two young entrepreneurs from Haldwani, a foothill town in Kumaon, have embarked on a journey to revive the lost heritage of Uttarakhand Tea which was once among the finest teas produced worldwide!"Teaquinox" aims to bring back the same taste, aroma and quality through its range of black, green, white teas and infusions with the added benefits of improved immunity and stress relief.
The history of tea cultivation in Uttarakhand is 185 years old. Tea cultivation in Uttarakhand also started only after the arrival of Europeans. In 1824, British writer Bishop Heber expressed the possibility of tea in the Kumaon region, saying that tea plants used to grow wild on the land here but were not used.
Heber wrote in his magazine(History of Tea Cultivation in Uttarakhand) that the temperature and other seasonal conditions of the soil of Kumaon are very similar to the tea gardens of China. Superintendent of Botanical Gardens, Saharanpur, Dr. Royle fully agreed that tea could be cultivated in Uttarakhand. In 1827, he sent a report to the East India Company. When Lord William Bantik came to Saharanpur in 1831, he also suggested for the development of tea industry in the region. Bantik formed a tea committee in 1834.
On finding Kumaon suitable for tea cultivation, commissioner George William Trail assured the tea committee of all possible help. Trail wrote to Sir Callahan, a former commander of the Kumaon Provincial Battalion, by letter that the areas adjoining Hawalbagh and Bhimtal were suitable for setting up nurseries. At the same time, Dr. Wallik presented an article related to tea cultivation in the House of Common, England, in which he described the areas of Kumaon and Garhwal in India as suitable for tea cultivation.
These places were surveyed by Dr. Faulkner, Superintendent of Botanical Gardens Saharanpur and Bilkiwarth. In the last month of December in 1835, the first shipment of two thousand plants from Calcutta reached Kumaon. With this, tea nurseries were established in Lakshmeshwar near Almora and Bharatpur near Bhimtal. In 1835, tea cultivation was also started at Koth place of Tehri Garhwal.
Tea is a collective of young indiciduals with a fiery passion to offer the highest quality and purest flavors of tea imaginable.